Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The Gift of Free

Sometimes you just get lucky. Yesterday I sat seven rows back just outside the left field foul pole and watched the Twins play the A’s in the first round of the playoffs. It was simply great atmosphere. The Twins ended up losing, but not a fan moved until the final out. The tickets were free, the dome dog for lunch was free, parking was free – all in all further proof that God gives us much more than we deserve.

Speaking of the gift of free, the family is looking forward to a Minnesota Symphony Concert on October 15. It will be great to take the kids to their first symphony concert at a concert designed specifically to introduce kids to the symphony. Should be fun.

There was another story today about the Pat Davison case in the Billings Gazette. I’m a little surprised how sad the whole story makes me. I only know one of Pat’s accuser’s and I think part of me is struck by the fact that I always thought of Pat as a pretty decent guy and at least one of the parties accusing him is not somebody I would choose to ride an elevator with if I could avoid it. Part of me keeps remembering talking to Pat in his office with the picture of the Pope in the background. The personal toll and side of this story will likely not be told, but I would guess that it is a fascinating and sad story of misguided ambition and a lot of small unethical decisions that led to a pretty big fall.

No comments: