Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Montana writers - best and worst

On Monday of this week Bill Foley of the Montana Standard in Butte wrote a relatively decent journalistic piece. Today, however he's back to sheer and utter nonsense with a lot of reliance on the word, "sucks".

I realize I'm getting somewhat older, but one things that seems to be standing out to me right now is that we have somehow lost the ability to write. I'm the pot calling the kettle black, because rarely do I take the time and discipline myself to plan and rewrite like I should. I've been reading novels again lately, and I'm struck that good writing doesn't just show up on the page. I'm reading newer Larry McMurtry and just finished a great book by Annie Prouloux. The writing is great in both, though McMurtry has gotten a little weird with age.

All of this is kind of a diversion right now, but of all the things on my mind this seemed to be the only thing that I felt like writing about.

No comments: