Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Organizational yuck

A guy by the name of Marc Cohen had an album during my high school years and in a song he said, "My friends will ask me how I'm doin, and I can't lie to em', not feeling fine today."

I seem to be trapped in a organization where I am supposedly a "communication expert" who is consistently miscommunicating. Here we don't discuss or dialogue, there are just directives and middle management is supposed to jump. In the end, that may be the definition of middle management, but I know that for the effective organization there is something more. In the effective organization there is a moment where communication is co-creation and everyone contributes to an idea and it becomes great.

Somehow the image of a garden just came to me. If I water, somebody else plants, somebody else weeds, somebody fertilizes, etc. then in the end we can have a pretty good garden. My image of the current professional garden I am in is that we are each busy trying to care for our one seed, each trying to grab the hose or the fertilizer or the rake and when the harvest time comes we are going to find that we will starve because we are each harvesting one small kernel where there could have been an abundant harvest.

No comments: