Monday, August 21, 2006

New School

Today, on campus the soccer players have been added to the football players and by the end of the week freshman will start moving into campus. There is something about working at a college that just seems better when the students are around. There is a vitality to the campus when people are here and one of the problems in higher education is that most of our campuses go so unused during the summer months.

The ebb and flow of the higher education life is one thing is a blessing and a curse. This weekend we helped a good friend and a great guy move his family to another college. It is our third day this summer spent as moving help. Unfortunately for faculty and staff at colleges moving is a pretty common occurence. Though we seem to have some kind of unfortunate record with 11 different moves in our (almost) 13 years of marriage, it is not uncommon, but this summer has been particularly hard. I can count between six and seven people that I really respected and cared about that won't be here this year, and it gets harder to muster up the energy to invest in new people.

It makes me wonder about that time when most people never traveled more than a 100 miles from where they were born. I haven't lived within 100 miles of where I was born in over 10 years, and realistically it is probably a lot more before I'm back. And if I could go back - what would I do?

I'm hoping to master pictures soon so I can spice up the blog.

No comments: