Friday, April 13, 2007

Deepish thoughts

I remember in high school sitting around and watching Saturday Night Live and one of my favorite sketches was “Deep Thoughts, with Jack Handy”. Played to a background of new age music and fields of flowers, the soft spoken announcer would read pseudo inspirational messages like, “Nothing tears a family apart – like a pack of wild dogs.” It was funny stuff.

As I have gotten older every once in a while I have deep thoughts, but anytime I acknowledge them as a deep thought I realize how polluted my mind is because I immediately think of Jack Handy. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. (There are many sources of pollution.) So this week seemed to be dominated by a number of deep intellectual thoughts that came from many directions.

This blog really isn’t about any of them, only a recognition that I don’t tend to do a lot of that kind of thinking anymore, and I think I’d feel better about life if I did. I tended to be more philosophical in my late teens and twenties. Is that loss of mental, philosophical rambling a sign or age, or would I in fact be a better thinker about many things if I exercised my brain more.

No comments: