Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Back from vacation

I had a lot of great ideas to blog about when I was on vacation. Yes, for three weeks I drove around, saw fascinating stuff, had interesting conversations, ate good food and in general lived a life worth blogging about, and I didn’t blog once. A day and half into a hard transition back to life in the real world and most of those great ideas are now gone, or at least fuzzy enough that they sound far less brilliant, but maybe that is the point.

For the past three weeks I was pretty disconnected. I didn’t worry about the checkbook (anybody know how I can make a quick $500, legal is preferred), how many emails were waiting for me, what was for dinner on that given night or many of the hundreds of things that make up my day to day existence.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my life. Part of what was really great about the vacation was spending all day everyday with my wife and kids. What I finally did on this vacation that I’m not sure I have done in the past decade or so is relax and in that relaxation, I think my brain worked better.

So, I’m back from vacation with a few lessons learned. The key one is that everybody should take a vacation. For me, I think I have learned that means a vacation from a schedule as well. One of the best things about vacation is that we had very few demands on our time, and we didn’t place any on ourselves either.

I’m sure there are other lessons, and I may get around to writing about them. But for now, I needed to get back on schedule and post a blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will go on vacation with you anyday. Even just for an afternoon. On the flip side of that, I wouldn't trade our "scheduled life" either, the kids are great, work is good and God is truly amazing. I love you