Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Yellowstone Clubber

Today an opinion piece I wrote on the Yellowstone Club for the Montana Standard appears. I’m pleased with the way it turned out, and pleased that the editor thought it was thought provoking which should be the goal of sharing and opinion.

I’m surprised that there hasn’t been more coverage of this case nationally. It could be that in an environment where a ponzi scheme has to be in the billions before it is considered serious that this kind of story just isn’t big enough. The New York Times published an interesting overview of the club, “
Club Med for the Millionaire Set” in March of 2006.

It is striking to read that article in light of current economic realities. The kind of celebration of wealth described in that article seems to have fallen out of favor, but represents pretty well the feeling about real estate throughout the early 2000’s when our houses represented our riches. In neighborhoods like the Yellowstone Club I doubt that has changed much, but it is no longer as fashionable to flaunt wealth.

I need your help: I am hoping to develop this opinion piece and some other work into a longer magazine (or hopefully) book length project. If you have an opinion, first hand experience with the Yellowstone Club, its contractors, or its members please email me at
chatohaze@yahoo.com or post to the blog. If you post I will delete any posts that are offensive or advocate violence. I might be wrong and if I am, I’d like to know. I also know there are some core issues here that are bigger than the club.

No comments: