Thursday, January 18, 2007

Tuition and stuff

I have been wondering for awhile about out of control tuition and the eventual effect is going to have on my career path and society in general. I realize for instance that I can't afford to send my kids to the college that I work at.

Today the news out of Montana is that the Republicans are proposing a reduction in tuition. Great idea in a headline, but this is one of those things that makes a great headline and bad policy. Over the years the lack of a coherent tuition policy in the state has led it to where it is. There have been a lot of conversations and very few solutions. This most current move is a short term fix with long term consequences, because when the surplus dries up they will not have fixed any of the essential problems that lead to higher tuition.

Which brings me to an interesting Newsweek article by Alan Sloan I read the other day about how we are headed for a crash because Baby Boomers are going to break social security. Full of great stuff, but again here is a problem we are not going to face until it is too late.

It's a hard lesson in life and hard lesson in global politics, short term solutions rarely have lasting meaning. Then again, lately it seems like even lasting meaning doesn't have much lasting meaning.

No comments: