Friday, May 01, 2009

More Yellowstone Club debacle

Were it not for the swine flu, Justice Souter’s retirement, and Chrysler headed to the big auto mart in the sky, the drama playing out in Bozeman, Montana would be getting national play. It has all the greed, conflict, and drama you could ask for and now the latest pictures have added a Hollywood actor to the mix. Of course, he’s just the latest celebrity to the mix.

Today in the Bozeman Chronicle, and the Billings Gazette are interesting stories about the ongoing saga of the Yellowstone Club. I have been interested in this story for awhile and wrote this opinion piece for our magazine awhile ago.

What seems to be missing about the most recent stories, and is missing from much of the coverage of this kind of story is the question of justice. It’s interesting for me to think about the fact that I currently own a home, or co-own it with the bank and they are really worried in this economy about me paying it off because I am among those that are “upside-down” due to changing market conditions. It’s my home, I’m going to pay it off. Yet somehow, on paper it made sense to someone to loan Blixseth $200 million. That $200 million pays for a lot of homes like mine.

No comments: