Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Cat vs Griz and other nonsense

I'll admit that I love to terrorize my niece by pretending to big the world's biggest Grizzly fan, but the bottom line is I just don't give it that much thought. Once you move out of state if either school does well good for them. For instance I was in Dickinson, North Dakota over the Thanksgiving weekend and it was fun to watch UM Western hand it to Dickinson State.

However, I've been watching some of the posts on the Cat-Griz rivalry on the Billings Gazette website and some of these people are nuts. They have way too much time and energy wrapped up in finding denigrating ways to refer to one school or the other.

By the way, am I the only one who thinks it is interesting that Myles Brand can keep a straight face while testifying before Congress that the NCAA should remain tax exempt. If I had a few extra million dollars I'd take a run at creating a new league. The NCAA is simply a big business monopoly. It may not be all bad, but let's go ahead and call it what it is. It may even be the lesser of several evils, but it comes with it's own problems.

Then again, I may be just having a cynical day but it is kind of ironic that Dr. Brand is talking about how it is really for the good of the athletes in front of a body that says it is really for the good of the "people". I have a hard time believing that either one of those things is true anymore.

No comments: