Thursday, November 02, 2006

Winter coming

Since my last post was a little darker, I thought I'd take a moment today and ramble on about the fact that I don't think you can truly get to know Minnesota, particularly Minnesota natives until their is a little bit of winter in the air. Sure, Minnesota looks like a fun place to live with cool things to do in Minneapolis and all the lakes during the summer - but just wait until the four months of big freeze.

I notice the natives are starting to get a little gleam in their eye. They seem to know that those of us not from here are about to start complaining real complaints about not being able to feel limbs. Don't get me wrong, native Minnesotans complain too, but they seem to do it with a kind of glee, like complaining about having too much fun. Most Minnesota natives are much to passive aggresive to express their real joy that the frozen dark has once again returned to the land - and the rest of us are miserable.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh chato.. minnesota and montana are brother and sister states.. you make it seem like you have never endeered a winter before.. I'm sure you are right there along side those minnesotans with that gleam in your eye

Chatohaze said...

No way, Montana is much superior in terms of weather. One of my best memories is playing golf in Billings on January 1 in a sweatshirt. Minnesota gets cold and then just gets colder. They leave houses on lakes out here, you could never do that in Montana.